Post-Conference Workshops: Friday, 23 March 2018
9:00 am - 11:30 am Application of LEAN Tools and Design Thinking in Healthcare Infrastructure to Improve Experiences and Efficiency of Design from Initial Planning to ImplementationPue Kim Chong, Director – Infrastructure, Design & Innovation,Tan Tock Seng Hospital (Singapore)
Health City Novena is one of the largest integrated healthcare campuses in Singapore’s Novena area. Spanning over 17 Hectares and due for completion in 2030, it will deliver a holistic and sustainable eco-system that extends beyond healthcare to encompass health services, research and education, commercial, leisure and public spaces.
You will have the opportunity to learn how Pue Kim Chong, Director of Infrastructure, Design & Innovation of Tan Tock Seng Hospital in Singapore adopted lean and design thinking strategies for the Novena development and key concepts behind the master plan.
This will be a practical and engaging exercise that allows you to use LEAN tools and design thinking methodologies to “design out” waste and improve experiences from initial planning to implementation using the Hybrid Lean and Design Thinking 3P (Product Process Preparation) approach.
Participants will get hands-on practice in:
- Lean 101 - Current State Mapping, Ideal State Mapping and Future State Mapping
- Examples of Lean (including 3P) projects
- Applying Design Thinking to improve user experience
- Design Thinking experience 101
- Developing Persona (hands-on practice)
Pue Kim ChongDirector – Infrastructure, Design & Innovation
Tan Tock Seng Hospital (Singapore)
12:00 pm - 2:30 pm Transition and Change in Clinical Service Delivery: Some Practices and PracticalitiesDr Kim Hill, Executive Clinical Advisor ,Sydney Local Health District
The scale of change faced by health care services may range from implementing new clinical practice guidelines to commissioning a new service or hospital. Understanding and experience in managing change are important skills for clinical and executive leaders, who must balance the impact on clinical practice, organisational culture, workflows and operations, as well as the impact on patients and staff.
This interactive workshop offers you the opportunity to meet with peers who also have roles as leaders of change to:
· Consider the practices, activities and mechanisms that help to embed change management, and how these could apply to your own scenario
· Review some ways to effectively assess organisation readiness for change
· Identify factors that can support and build your organisational capacity for change, as well as potential barriers (and what might be done to overcome them)
· Discuss the practicalities of building clinician engagement, with some practical partnership approaches for setting good practices into place
· Discuss examples showing the impact of post-implementation evaluation, and its effect on future change initiatives
Dr Kim HillExecutive Clinical Advisor
Sydney Local Health District
9:00 am - 11:30 am Learn How to Transform and Grow Your Business in a Deregulated Consumer-Driven Marketplace by Focussing on Greater Innovation, Commercialism and Change ManagementJason Howie, Chief Executive Officer,Kincare
As Australians live longer and healthier lives, it is important that as people age, they have choice about their care. CDC reform to home care packages is shaking up Australia’s traditionally led aged care system to empower consumers and create a deregulated market-based environment. Greater flexibility in choice puts more pressure on providers to adopt a commercial mindset and differentiate themselves from their competitors.
As one of the nation’s biggest for-profit home care providers, Kincare leads the way in the health services context, transforming their organisational structure, products and vision in light of reform. In this interactive workshop, Jason Howie as the Chief Executive Officer of Kincare will discuss the steps they are taking to ensure a successful transformation with a
particular focus on establishing a solid vision and strategy; typical pitfalls to be aware of; strategies about repositioning and rebranding; and how a business restructure impacts your
Key Learning outcomes:
• Understanding the strategic necessity to address external change
• The typical challenges that are likely to be encountered, and where to find solutions
• How to manage change in an ambiguous environment
Jason HowieChief Executive Officer
12:00 pm - 2:30 pm 12 Steps to Harness the Power of Authenticity to Lead a Health Care Business, Attract High Quality Talent and Differentiate you from your Competitors.David Gollop, Founder & Executive Creative Director ,Be You Not Them
If you want to lead your business to gain more market share in this rapidly growing industry, If you want to retain top quality staff who will put your business on track for continual improvement, it’s time to focus on building your business’s profile and using technology to support it.
With a focus on the implementation with BaptistCare (that won top prize in the Information Technology in Aged Care Awards) we’ll share the lessons we’ve learned in health and aged care that will help you align your business to achieve its full potential.
• How authenticity attracts like-minded customers, staff and builds a loyal community.
• How and where to use market research versus innovation.
• How to identify what makes your business brilliant.
• How to align the goalposts of your business and build momentum in achieving those goals.
• How to create lasting connections between your staff and customers.
• How to implement your vision throughout the organisation to empower bravery and ownership and loyalty in staff.
• How to apply proven methods from other industries’ to shortcut innovation.
• How this has worked in the real world for BaptistCare.
David GollopFounder & Executive Creative Director
Be You Not Them