Executive Director Clinical Services
Children’s Health Queensland Hospital and Health Service
11:20 AM Spotlight Interview: Using Health Intelligence to Find the Sweet Spot between Your Infrastructure and Clinical Services Plan
This interview will discuss how health intelligence, which incorporates analysis and subsequent insights from population health management and the social determinants of health, adds significant value to your planning approach. Learn:
- What value add ‘health intelligence’ offers and why it’s relevant to leaders in clinical services, service redesign and infrastructure planning
- Practical and legislative challenges in adapting the approach
- How to collect and use health intelligence to improve the accuracy of your clinical services and capital/infrastructure plan
- Why health intelligence helps break down traditional silos and supports partnering and collaboration to realise potential
The capability of Population health intelligence (PHI) as a key enabler of successful investment in health infrastructure and clinical services planning is currently not well considered nor understood. With so much data at our fingertips it is increasingly important for planners and decision makers to be clear about how we can put what is available to best use.
If we are serious about better investment, value and improving health and wellbeing outcomes we need to explore the potential offered by taking a population health intelligence perspective.
This approach encourages us to think differently about how we go about health infrastructure and service planning and consider how to build hospitals and other health facilities that reflect the needs of the communities they serve and are future proofed to meet projected capacity and demand. Children's Health Queensland Hospital and Health Services have been successfully working across Governmentusing this methodology.
This workshop will help you understand the fundamentals of taking a PHI approach and how you canincorporate the methodology into your planning to develop integrated services that better meet the needs of communities and improve health outcomes.
Participants will get hands-on practice in using PHI to better:
- Understand, predict and evaluate the impact of population needs on hospital design at a local, state wide level
- Understand the health intelligence cycle, including collection, processing, analysis and dissemination
- Use available data and evidence to inform decision making and investment
- Understand practical and legislative challenges in adapting the approach.